Many of us stay at home hoping to get some work done only to find out that we can’t concentrate. There always seems to be something interesting on TV, something exciting to do on the internet (hey – don’t blame Toronto is Mine), and you’re always feeling a little hungry. Learn to sail through distractions and become productive working from home with these tips.
Tips for Working from home
* Start out with something easy, fun or interesting. This helps you build momentum throughout the day.
* Stick to a schedule. Treat your days like a ďregularĒ work day. Many people have found that a 9-5 or 10-6 schedule really helps keep them on track and productive.
* Separate your ďworkĒ area from your ďlivingĒ area. This includes your phone and computer. If youíre a gamer, you should use a separate computer, or maybe a separate alias. Or hit up the Xbox like me!
* Get out and about as often as you can. Take a walk, go outside, meet people for lunchóthat kind of thing.
* Work on networking. Since you probably donít have coworkers, itís good to get to know people who are doing the same things as you so you can socialize a bit, etc.
* Reward yourself when youíve done something significant.
* Get dressed everyday. Donít wear pajamas all day. Itíll make you feel less work-like.
* Set, and stick to, deadlines. Even when you donít need them.
* Take breaks. Get away from the computer and donít work through lunch. Iíve noticed this can be hard already. Iím beginning to force myself up and about every hour or so.
* Keep your weekends. Working from home shouldnít change the work/life balance youíve got. Well, unless it lets you do more ďlifeĒ! ;0)
* Limit distractions. Keep your work area clear from things that might get you off track. Guess I need to move the PSPÖ
* Have a plan and goals for what you want to accomplish each week.
* Request feedback from clients and other folks you work with on a regular basis. This can help you identify shortcomings and keep you motivated to keep improving your skills, etc.
One thing I noticed is that using a system like David Allenís Getting Things Done really prepares you to be productive in many situations, including working from home. For me, Iíve gotten so much accomplished this weekómy first week working from homeóitís amazing. AND Iíve had more free time. I donít think Iíd have done half as much had I not had my systems in place and been able to adapt them.